Fonio is a very small grain which grows in the arid regions of West Africa. Because of its vast and high nutritional content, fonio has potential to:
- improve nutrition in the areas it is grown as well as the developed world where super foods are being increasingly consumed
- boost food security for the farmers who produce it as it can be stored and used over many years
- foster rural development and support sustainable use of the land in those areas in West Africa it is grows so naturally well
- rival quinoa as a super food in terms of its nutritional value
- replace rice and couscous for those who are looking for a Gluten-Free alternative
Fonio is quite versatile in terms of its use and flavour. It can be used in salads, stews, stir fries. porridges and even ground into flour for baking bread, muffins and cakes.
Because fonio is Gluten-Free and nutritious because of two amino acids, cystine and methionine, it is a favorite to be baked into bread for diabetics, those who are gluten intolerant or people with celiac disease. It is, in short, the perfect new grain for diet-conscious people.